Wednesday, February 20, 2013

knowledge: self teaching or schooling: which is better?

I have been in the computer fields for 20+ years, and one of my best days is when I'm helping someone repair their computer or else I'm repairing it. I started designing my websites many years ago.
I have ADHD, which is attention deficit disorder with hyperactivity, and it plays havoc with my focus. I first started out using a WYSIWYG editor, and quickly learned that I wanted to make tweaks that I just couldn't do in the editor. So, I went to the web and learned to hard. I had so much trouble with CSS, and I still do. I used an editor that allowed me to hard code but which had a preview pane so I could see the changes I was making. I thought, this is great, but learning to do this professionally is the way to go.
Now I wish I had just taught myself what I didn't know. I wish I could unlearn what I learned, since it keeps getting in the way of my programming. The last two days, I've been designing the way I use to and I've less trouble than since I was in school for web design.
I'm hard coding, learning HTML5 and also teaching myself Word Press. How to use it and tweak it, not program it.
I am also learning Joomla! which is another CMS, content management system. CMS is also what Word Press is. I find it easier to do things the way I use to.
Bottom line for me is that being self taught is better for me personally.

No comments: