Wednesday, February 20, 2013

knowledge: self teaching or schooling: which is better?

I have been in the computer fields for 20+ years, and one of my best days is when I'm helping someone repair their computer or else I'm repairing it. I started designing my websites many years ago.
I have ADHD, which is attention deficit disorder with hyperactivity, and it plays havoc with my focus. I first started out using a WYSIWYG editor, and quickly learned that I wanted to make tweaks that I just couldn't do in the editor. So, I went to the web and learned to hard. I had so much trouble with CSS, and I still do. I used an editor that allowed me to hard code but which had a preview pane so I could see the changes I was making. I thought, this is great, but learning to do this professionally is the way to go.
Now I wish I had just taught myself what I didn't know. I wish I could unlearn what I learned, since it keeps getting in the way of my programming. The last two days, I've been designing the way I use to and I've less trouble than since I was in school for web design.
I'm hard coding, learning HTML5 and also teaching myself Word Press. How to use it and tweak it, not program it.
I am also learning Joomla! which is another CMS, content management system. CMS is also what Word Press is. I find it easier to do things the way I use to.
Bottom line for me is that being self taught is better for me personally.
Post a Comment

About Me

My photo

Nina Slone has worked at many types of jobs; currently she is editing books and writing articles as well as studying for A+ Certification. While she used to write reviews for O'Reilly's Blogger Review Program, they stopped the program. She likes to paint, draw and sketch. Her favorite tools are charcoal, pencil and oil paint. She loves modern or smooth jazz and many other genres of music. Mother Earth Beat, David Sanborn, David Arkenstone, CCR, Bob Seger, John Fogerty, David Allen Coe, etc. She loves the mountains as well as the ocean. She is a Christian, and lives her life accordingly.

Google+ Badge