Monday, October 21, 2013

How Wikipedia Works Review



I do a lot of research, most of it by Google, and many times there are links to Wikipedia with information on my subject. When I was attending school, we were often told we weren’t allowed to use Wikipedia as references, only for information. In other words, we could read what was there, but not quote it. I’ve always wondered why this is, although some of the instructors say it’s because it’s unreliable. I’m not totally sure this is true.

Aside from all that, if you want to know about Wikipedia, this is the book for you. The authors explain exactly what Wikipedia is, (it’s a giant web encyclopedia (my words, not theirs)), how it got started and what’s it for. They also explain how you, yes you if you wish, can contribute to Wikipedia.

They also explain the rights and copyrights of the articles and graphics you will find on Wikipedia. They explain how you can use the articles, and how you should give credit for them when you reuse them. They also explain how you can edit an article if you should know about the subject, or even add a new article.

This book is chock full of information and you will know all about Wikipedia when you are reading this book. I found it written in an entertaining and conversational style. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants to know all about Wikipedia.


Link product title to this URL: http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9781593271763.do





No comments: