Saturday, January 11, 2014

Training Guide: Programming in HTML5 with JavaScript and CSS3 Review



I’ve been reading the Training Guide and I must say it’s really cool. It explains the different between the various Visual Studio 2010 versions. For instance, since I’m running Windows 7, the author tells me that “If you run Blend for Visual Studio 2012 on Windows 7, you will not be able to develop Windows 8 applications.” I didn’t see anywhere that says I can’t code and make my apps backward compatible. Many programs can be made to be backwards compatible. This is what I hope to do as I learn how to create apps using this book. I have no intention of upgrading to Windows 8 or 8+. Personally I prefer to be running Linux, but because of the work I do, I must be running Windows. That really sucks!
I like the layout of the book, which also looks fine on my Kindle Fire HD. I also like the fact that the author explains things so well. It’s frustrating to try to learn how to do something if the author doesn’t clarify what she or he is trying to say. To paraphrase from one of my lessons in another subject, "Betty, Sue and Donna all went to school together. She was the only one who didn’t graduate.” It’s clear that all three went to school together, but it doesn’t clarify who didn’t graduate. Personally I like things to be clear because it’s less likely to make mistakes. But that’s just me.
I would recommend this book to anyone, including my classmates.


Link product title to this URL: http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0790145371133.do
 

No comments: