Thursday, April 26, 2007

hypocrisy

Hey all,
How ya doing? I wish ya peace, and love.
Twice in the last month, I have been accused of being a hypocrit. I looked up the word 'hypocrit', in case I misunderstood the definition.
MSN Encarta defines it as:
hypocritical- falsely claiming high principles: showing, originating from, or of the nature of hypocrisy
hypocritical (adj)insincere, two-faced, duplicitous, deceitful, phoney, false
And Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary says:
Main Entry: hy·poc·ri·sy Pronunciation: hi-'pä-kr&-sE also hI-Function: nounInflected Form(s): plural -siesEtymology: Middle English ypocrisie, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin hypocrisis, from Greek hypokrisis act of playing a part on the stage, hypocrisy, from hypokrinesthai to answer, act on the stage, from hypo- + krinein to decide -- more at CERTAIN1 : a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not; especially : the false assumption of an appearance of virtue or religion2 : an act or instance of hypocrisy
The Free Online Dictionary also says:
hy·poc·ri·sy(h-pkr-s)n. pl. hy·poc·ri·sies 1. The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.2. An act or instance of such falseness.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English ipocrisie, from Old French, from Late Latin hypocrisis, play-acting, pretense, from Greek hupokrisis, from hupokrnesthai, to play a part, pretend : hupo-, hypo- + krnesthai, to explain, middle voice of krnein, to decide, judge; see krei- in Indo-European roots.]

Now that I know I understand the definition of the word, I will respond. The first person who accused me of sometimes being hypocritical, didn't remember one instance of me being hypocritical, the second person, says it's because I don't listen. Neither one fits the definition. I am tolerant of your right to believe any way you choose, but I refuse to listen to stuff that I've already covered. One can be tolerant, and accept another persons' right to an opposing viewpoint. I have been wrong lately, in bitching about people not listening. For that I apologize. But know this, if what you have to say is something I have already experienced, and questioned, maybe even discarded, then don't expect me to listen. But I will not apologize for what I believe.
Furthermore, this dance called life is wonderful. Even on my darkest days, I believe that. And, I really don't care if you believe what I believe or not. My 'job' is to learn and believe, not convert you. People do change their reality, which is a subjective term. Some don't even realize it at the time, but then start thinking about it and use that as a catalyst to change.
Hypocrits act one way, but 'preach' another. Since that isn't what I do, the wrong word is being used. No one is coercing you into reading what I post here. Everyone has had, and will continue to have different life experiences, based on any number of criteria. While what I believe may seem to be far-fetched, it is my right to believe it.
I am glad this happened tho, it was a reality check from 'my people'. I was concentrating on the wrong things. I need and want to concentrate on changing my reality. You are not what you think you are, but rather what you think.
ravnone1
Post a Comment

About Me

My photo

Nina Slone has worked at many types of jobs; currently she is editing books and writing articles as well as studying for A+ Certification. While she used to write reviews for O'Reilly's Blogger Review Program, they stopped the program. She likes to paint, draw and sketch. Her favorite tools are charcoal, pencil and oil paint. She loves modern or smooth jazz and many other genres of music. Mother Earth Beat, David Sanborn, David Arkenstone, CCR, Bob Seger, John Fogerty, David Allen Coe, etc. She loves the mountains as well as the ocean. She is a Christian, and lives her life accordingly.

Google+ Badge