Tuesday, May 15, 2007

how does one define weird?

Hi All,
I thought it was time to look at a new word, that sometimes is used in connection with me. I did a google search for the word, 'weird', and this is what answers.com has to say:
weird
(wîrd)
adj., weird·er, weird·est.
  1. Of, relating to, or suggestive of the preternatural or supernatural.
  2. Of a strikingly odd or unusual character; strange.
  3. Archaic. Of or relating to fate or the Fates.
n.
    1. Fate; destiny.
    2. One's assigned lot or fortune, especially when evil.
  1. often Weird Greek & Roman Mythology. One of the Fates.
tr. & intr.v., weird·ed, weird·ing, weirds.

Slang. To experience or cause to experience an odd, unusual, and sometimes uneasy sensation. Often used with out.

[Middle English werde, fate, having power to control fate, from Old English wyrd, fate.]

Ok, so there we have it. I suppose it might be a good term in reference to myself, I don't mind it. People have their own definitions for how other people are. In some cases it is nice to be different, in others it isn't. I guess it depends on the person as well as the circumstances.

I see a lot of weird people, and if I'm in that category, so what of it? At least I'm an individual. I would hate to be a clone. How boring that would be if we were all clones of each other. In fact, if you think I'm weird, maybe I feel the same way about you. Of course, it might just be the circumstances you find yourself in.

Life's funny that way, ya know. She always keeps you guessing as to what is coming up next. We can order/create our own reality because we have free will. And yet we have certain things we have to do...perhaps you might call that fate. What a conundrum. So which do we believe? That we have free will or that we are victims of fate? Maybe both? Maybe neither? You decide, it's your life. Also you might think about this. We all come to agreements before any particular birth in this plane of existence, and we do sign contracts to fulfill certain things in our life, such as what lessons we need/want to learn. There is a fine line there I suppose. Other than the contract being fulfilled, we have complete autonomy as to what our reality will be like.

This would by necessity include how we perceive people, as well as how we are perceived by others. Not all people can be labeled, although I'm sure it makes it easier for people to know what to expect if we have one. He's a redneck...therefore he can't even read and write. He's a yuppie, therefore he's a baby boomer. ETC. I think labels are really dumb, although sometimes I do find a certain perverse reason for them, like when I think people are acting stupid...so then I say, "some people are too damn stupid for words." Not nice, but sometimes true. It's really stupid to not look where you're going when you're driving, such as the red car who backed out of a parking lot without even looking. I know because I was there. This was at Fry's in Avondale. We were on the bike, we saw her and stopped, watched her, and she never did look where she was going until she was at the end of the lane. Now how dumb/stupid is that? Even down right rude. In my opinion, people like that are stupid, a menace to other drivers, and shouldn't be allowed to drive. It is my opinion, I'm entitled to it, and I stand by it.

I love etymology, the study of the origins of words. Some of them, their definitions and sound, is just so cool. Enigma, intrigue, etymology, entomology, and others. Codes fascinate me. Mysteries, action movies, things that make you think. Slang, and how it evolves over time also fascinates me. What a peculiar word 'fascinate' is, the 'c' and the 'e' are both silent. It is such a cool word. And yet it is true, many things fascinate me.

I guess I've written enough today, or at least for right now.

Peace,

ravnone1



No comments: