Thursday, May 24, 2007

Thursday's post...Thor's day, also Jupitor


Hi All,
Today is the day of Thor, God of the thunder, and Jupiter, God of finances.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thursday

The astrological sign of the planet Jupiter represents Thursday with similar names in Latin-derived languages, such as the French Jeudi. In English, this became "Thor's Day", since the Roman god Jupiter was identified with Thor in northern Europe.

In The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, the character Arthur Dent says "This must be Thursday. I could never get the hang of Thursdays". A few minutes later the planet Earth is destroyed. Thor, for whom the day was named, also appears later in the Hitchhiker's series and in other Adams books. Appropriately, in The Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul, one of the characters says to Thor: "I'm not used to spending the evening with someone who's got a whole day named after them".

I thought it might be interesting to post a bit of lore for today. It does have interesting facts and tidbits associated with it. Also, I love this pic of Thor fighting the giants. I love thunderstorms, and since he is the God of Thunder, I think it's pretty appropriate to contribute a post to him.
Perhaps I will do this again for the various gods and goddesses that I really like. I have quite a few that I greatly admire. As time permits and goes on, I may very well endeavor to do this, pay my respects so to speak.
Peace to all who seek her.
ravnone1

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome pic.. Walk in Beauty.. a 'Dineh' saying.. now you can research those beliefs..lol..Take Care..