Monday, September 23, 2013

The Book of GIMP Review



This is one of the best books I have read about using GIMP. GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a free software program similar to Photoshop. You can do as much with GIMP as with Photoshop if not more. GIMP might have a steep learning curve, so does Photoshop; however, with this book to guide you along, it won’t take so long to learn. From correcting photos, to using layers, designing logos, animation and textures, it covers it.

I have a Kindle, just the regular Kindle, not Kindle Fire HD (would  really like one though), and the book looks fine, even the graphics show up well, although they are in black and white, which is why I also like to have the book in PDF format.
 

This is one book you should have open and follow along with when using GIMP. I personally prefer to have the book open with me when I’m learning how to do something. Sense this book has tutorials and examples for you do in each chapter, it means it is easier for me to understand how to do things. Hey, you don’t have to go chapter by chapter as you would a novel. I suggest you first read the introduction, and install GIMP; there is also an appendix that explains how to install GIMP if you’re unsure how to do that. After that, just peruse the table of contents and once finding the part that you’re most interested in, jump right in and start following the tutorials.

If you are a coder, then you’ll also love GIMP because the source code is available so you can play around with it. You change improve upon the code as in adding something it doesn’t already have, or you can code plugins to share with the GIMP community. There are also plenty of tutorials on the web, as well as brushes galore. 

I suppose you wonder if I've even read this book since I just got it yesterday, and yes I have and still am. This is one of those books, especially of the technical genre, that you just want to keep reading. I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn GIMP.

Link product title to this URL: http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9781593273835.do


No comments: