Sunday, February 16, 2014

Privacy and Big Data Review



Do you ever think about the footprints we leave across the web? It makes it relatively easy for anyone to track us. I did a search for something a few weeks ago and after that regardless of where I went on the web; there was an advertisement for that particular thing. Now don’t get me wrong, selective advertising is fine as long as it’s what I’m interested in. But just because I look for something doesn’t mean I want to be inundated about it. It’s rather annoying. This book actually explains how that happens.
I am glad I read this book, as it is truly an eye opener. I believe we should all be aware to the extent to which our personal, and even public data, is being used. We, even in this digital age, need to have privacy. Although we are not doing anything wrong and have nothing to hide, we still don’t feel comfortable with all the data that is kept on us. For instance, I was a member of the bead-a-month-club for a few months, after which I cancelled my subscription. Within a few months I started getting mail delivered to me requesting that I join such and such club which were for young children, all younger than age twelve. My kids are already grown. Now I know where those letters came from, but they’re info is definitely wrong. Or maybe I am, since I had previously bought items on Amazon for Christmas, for all the grandkids.
It’s really a scary thought how much data that so many people are privy to when it comes down to it. I personally don’t think it’s a good thing for anyone to have that much data about us. If you’re concerned about your privacy, or just want to know more, do yourself a favor.  Read this book! It will answer many questions you may have, and you might even enjoy the book because it is written in a very engaging style. I recommend this book to anyone who wonders, “Where does all this data go? Who exactly has access to our data? And, most importantly, exactly what do they intend to do with it?"

Link product title to this URL: http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920020103.do
 

No comments: