Monday, March 3, 2014

Windows Registry Forensics Review



Wow! What a read! Seriously folks, this book is packed full of information. I have learned more about the Windows registry since reading this book than I knew in the last few years. I have to say, though, that I never stopped to think about how much you can learn about someone’s computer by reading the registry, including mine. I always wondered how the registry worked, and now I do, somewhat.  I have ‘tinkered’ with the registry before, (mine and only mine), or to use other peoples’ lingo, hacked the registry. For instance, I want more commands on my right-click menu, so I hack my registry and add them. No big deal.
Unless you’re into messing with other people’s computers; and like to do damage to them by adding such programs as malware, ransomeware or virii. Anything that’s malicious to harm another person’s computer. Then you’ve sort of found a goldmine to play in.
I hate that it’s so easy to add such crap to people’s computers.  And even though many people use a firewall, antivirus software or malware detectors, it seems as if people are finding new ways every day to defeat even those programs. If you know how the registry works, you have at least a fighting chance at winning this cyberwar.
I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to know more about how the registry works, or is in the forensics business.
Link product title to this URL: http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9781597495806.do

No comments: